[asdf-devel] Re: Help with cl-launch

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 05:17:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Cc-ing asdf-devel]
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wow. If asdf 3.0.3 loads 2.14, that's a notable bug indeed. I have a faint
>> how that the bug is somehow in something other than asdf itself. Can you
>> confirm and give steps to reproduce?
>
> Ubuntu 13.04
> apt-get installed cl-asdf (2:2.24-1)
> Grabbed the 2014-01 CMUCL snapshot
>
> luis at fusubu:~$ cmucl -noinit
> CMU Common Lisp snapshot-2014-01 (20E Unicode), running on fusubu
> With core: /home/luis/cmucl/lib/cmucl/lib/lisp-sse2.core
> Dumped on: Sat, 2014-01-04 19:49:03Z on lorien2
> See <http://www.cmucl.org/> for support information.
> Loaded subsystems:
>     Unicode 1.29 with Unicode version 6.2.0
>     Python 1.1, target Intel x86/sse2
>     CLOS based on Gerd's PCL 2010/03/19 15:19:03
> * (require :asdf)

> ("ASDF")
> * (asdf:load-system 'whatever)
> Warning:
>    You are using ASDF version 3.0.3 (probably from (require "asdf")
>    or loaded by quicklisp) and have an older version of ASDF (and older than
>    2.27 at that) registered at
>    #P"/usr/share/common-lisp/source/cl-asdf/asdf.asd".
>    Having an ASDF installed and registered is the normal way of
> configuring ASDF to upgrade itself, and having an old version
> registered is a configuration error. ASDF will ignore this configured
> system rather than downgrade itself. In the future, you may want to
> either: (a) upgrade this configured ASDF to a newer version, (b)
> install a newer ASDF and register it in front of the former in your
> configuration, or (c) uninstall or unregister this and any other old
> version of ASDF from your configuration. Note that the older ASDF
> might be registered implicitly through configuration inherited from
> your system installation, in which case you might have to specify
> :ignore-inherited-configuration in your in your
> ~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf
>    or other source-registry configuration file, environment variable
> or lisp parameter. Indeed, a likely offender is an obsolete version of
> the cl-asdf debian or ubuntu package, that you might want to upgrade
> (if a recent enough version is available) or else remove altogether
> (since most implementations ship with a recent asdf); if you lack the
> system administration rights to upgrade or remove this package, then
> you might indeed want to either install and register a more recent
> version, or use :ignore-inherited-configuration to avoid registering
> the old one. Please consult ASDF documentation and/or experts.

Wow, it displays the warning but still loads asdf.asd.
That's not only a bug, it's a regression since 3.0.2, introduced in
cbca8e6f (3.0.2.12).

Thanks for reporting the bug.

No bug:
CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY=~/cl/fare-csv:/usr/share/common-lisp/source//
rlwrap cmucl -noinit -load ~/cl/asdf/build/asdf-3.0.2.lisp -eval
'(asdf:load-system :asdf)'

Bug:
CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY=~/cl/fare-csv:/usr/share/common-lisp/source//
rlwrap cmucl -noinit -load ~/cl/asdf/build/asdf-3.0.3.lisp -eval
'(asdf:load-system :asdf)'

Fix pushed in 3.1.0.47.

An atheist doesn't have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there
can't be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence on
the God question is at a similar level to the evidence on the werewolf
question.  — John McCarthy