[asdf-devel] Would like to disable bundle-op on known not-working implementation X platform combinations

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 05:10:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> Per the principle of failing obviously, I propose to raise an error upon
> attempts to use bundle-op with ECL or ABCL on Mac OSX.  The bundle-op
> tests have been failing for me on those platforms for as long as I can
> remember.
>
> For ECL, at least, I believe this to be an implementation bug, having to
> do with the Mac's 32-/64-bit hybrid architecture.  With the current
> disarray in ECL maintenance, I don't see any signs of this being fixed.
>
> For ABCL the cause of this issue is more mysterious, but it is still
> persistent.
>
> Unless someone squawks, where "squawks" includes "explains why this test
> failure is specific to me or provides a proposed patch," I will make
> that change.

Didn't you disable the test in e2b70dd1 before 3.0.3?

Do you mean you want the code to issue an early error without even trying?
I think that's a bad idea that only makes the real issue harder to see and fix;
as long as the backtrace makes it clear where the thing is failing,
there's no need to obfuscate the implementation bug.
At worst, maybe wrap the issue in a handler-bind
that adds ASDF's own warning to the error?

Christmas is the time when kids tell Santa what they want and
adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell government what they want
and their kids pay for it.