[asdf-devel] Re: I think I have a case where ASDF catching warnings hurts...

Faré fare at tunes.org
Wed Feb 26 23:06:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> BOV5A signals ARNESI:DEFLOOKUP-REDEFINITION because of bug in EVAL-WHEN
> logic.

You could push #(deflookup-redefinition arnesi) onto
uiop:*uninteresting-conditions*.
And yes, there ought to be a better way to control binding of
variables around actions.
That's a big TODO item for ASDF — and it probably requires several
misdesigns before it is done right.

> We wrap call to LOAD-SYSTEM in
>
> (handler-bind ((arnesi:deflookup-redefinition
>                   #'(lambda (e) (muffle-warning e)))
>   (asdf:load-system "our-system"))
>
> This does not fix the problem.

I'm not sure why this doesn't work. It's possible that you try to
handle the condition before it's defined (how is the package even
present?) or after everything has already been loaded.

> I believe that this is because ASDF is trapping *ALL* warnings, hanging
> onto them, and then resignaling them, wrapped in new ASDF condition
> objects.  So our ARNESI:DEFLOOKUP-REDEFINITIONs are all gone, and can't
> be used for muffling.

ASDF doesn't do any such thing, except specifically for deferred conditions
(mostly, undefined variable and undefined function conditions), and
only if you explicitly enabled them.

"Lisp is a programmable programming language." — John Foderaro