[Asdf-devel] Program with metaclass on MKCL.

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Dec 4 16:37:51 UTC 2014

D. Martinez wrote:
> I understand your hypothesis and I guess it makes sense.
>
> I have done the testing as you suggest.
> 1. load-source-op is good
> 2. load-op fails on the first time. But it produces fasl.
> 3. load-op succeeds, on the second time.
> In a larger program, the load-op seems to fail as many times as there are custom metaclasses so I have to repeat the operation that many times (certainly why I haven't had the idea to do that in the first place).
>
> This is hardly a satisfactory solution but it is way better than nothing. For lack of a good solution it will do for now.
> So, should I conclude that MKCL is at fault and redirect my bug reporting there ?

One thing I notice is that you are defining like this:

(defclass A (standard-object)
  ()
  (:metaclass A-class))

I don't believe that this is in general correct.

Looking at the spec:

Each superclass-name argument specifies a direct superclass of the new
class. If the superclass list is empty, then the superclass defaults
depending on the metaclass, with standard-object being the default for
standard-class.

As I read this, you should drop the specification of STANDARD-OBJECT,
because the implementation is licensed to choose a more appropriate
default superclass. If it does, probably you want that more appropriate
superclass.

I don't mean to be troublesome, but if you are new to serious CL
programming maybe

1. You should try using a more mature CL implementation.
2. You should avoid the MOP. Unless you are doing something that, with
all due respect, someone who's new to serious CL programming shouldn't
be doing, you don't need the MOP.  CLOS is already so powerful, that
unless you are doing something that fundamentally changes the object
system, you don't need the MOP. And see my earlier point: if you are new
to serious CL programming, you shouldn't be fundamentally changing the
object system.

Cheers,