[Asdf-devel] request for test: experimental-submodules branch

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 16:13:43 UTC 2014

> Thanks.  BTW, isn't my ROOT_DIR definition a good replacement for your
> sourceDirectory?  I believe the latter could fail if the Makefile is
> invoked from another directory....

sourceDirectory is actually gwking's. Did five years already go by?

But to answer your question, make -C .../asdf/ will change the current
directory, so taking the pwd is ok. Of course make -f
.../asdf/Makefile from a different directory will do the wrong thing,
but that's on purpose.

> Actually, your command shows a challenge with using the full ASDF source
> tree: it exposes all the test systems.

That's a slight argument for stopping recursion at a directory containing a .asd
and/or consulting a cl-source-registry.conf file: so you can have private .asd's
that are only visible when you explicitly tweak your source-registry
or central-registry,
during tests or otherwise controlled builds.

> I will fix this.

I'm not sure what you intend to do. Prefix all the system names with
test-asdf or such?
I admit that was one of the reasons for me to reduce the number of
actual .asd files in our test directory: when possible, either use
define-test-system in a .script, or use secondary systems of
test-asdf.asd. But I didn't go through all existing files to fix them;
I only made such changes as I was fixing other bugs.

Maybe ongoing cleanups like this ought to be documented in a TODO entry.

Regards,

Judge and party — the ultimate nature of a monopoly government.