[Asdf-devel] Call for Testers (just quick bootstrap test for now)

Dave Cooper david.cooper at genworks.com
Fri Aug 1 15:09:58 UTC 2014

Dear All,

We are releasing Gendl (our free, open-source product) as a pre-built
distribution, based on CCL, on MacOS, Linux, and Windows (I'm giving a
tutorial on Gendl at Montreal ILC, so this is part of the reason for making
convenient self-contained builds available).

At this point we'd like to request anyone who is interested to download one
or more of these bundles, and simply test the start-up.

The respective downloads for current builds are here:

   http://downloads.genworks.com/gendl1587p004-devo-ccl.dmg (Mac)
   http://downloads.genworks.com/gendl1587p004-windows-oss.exe (Windows)
   http://downloads.genworks.com/gendl1587p004-ccl-linux.zip (Linux)

The Mac and Windows versions are self-contained including Emacs and enough
of Quicklisp/Slime to get bootstrapped (quicklisp and asdf are not built-in
to the image).

The Linux distribution assumes that you have "emacs" installed and in your
path.

 The start-up is as follows:

 Mac:  simply drag-to-install and click the application icon.

 Windows:  run the setup executable and run one of the .bat files in the
toplevel directory (or from Start menu if you have one)

  Linux:  Unzip the .zip file, cd into the new directory, and

            ./run-gdl

This should start emacs, Slime, and give you a GDL-USER> prompt.

On Linux, we have had a report that the Slime tries to load ASDF. I'm not
sure why this is, and I'm not able to replicate the issue on any Linux
systems I have access to. So especially if anyone is able to replicate this
ASDF loading error on the Linux version, it will be greatly appreciated
(especially if you can see why it's trying to load asdf!)

By the way, these distributions should work regardless of any other Lisp or
Emacs configuration you currently have on your machine (and shouldn't
interfere with them).

Note that I still have to fix up the Quicklisp copyright statements in the
startup banner for the included quicklisp libraries (this is done in the
Linux distro but the other distros still have to be rebuilt with the proper
statements).  My plan is to make available a "stable" and "nightly" for
each of these builds at all times.

--
My Best,

Dave Cooper, Genworks Support
david.cooper at genworks.com, dave.genworks.com(skype)
USA: 248-327-3253(o), 1-248-330-2979(mobile)