[Asdf-devel] TEST-OP

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 21:56:40 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> I have just pushed to the docs topic branch a complete rewrite of the
> recommendations for TEST-OP.
>
> I think this rewrite better maintains abstraction, because the testing
> methods are on the test library, rather than on the library to be
> tested.  I also explained why one should have a separate test library.
>
> I have abandoned any attempt at ASDF 2 compatibility, also.  It makes
> the presentation too cumbersome and twisty.
>
> I welcome inspection of this changed definition and suggestions for
> improvement.

Yes, I think we should stop documenting ASDF 2 compatibility,
and instead suggest that people should upgrade their implementation,
or, if stuck with LispWorks, and until it is released with ASDF 3
as is planned later this year, use our bin/install-asdf-as-module script.
The odd case of a user being stuck with a system-provided
implementation the asdf of which can't be upgraded and without
quota to install a new one should be marginal not to deserve more
than a footnote or a FAQ at best.

My Halloween Costume: Civil Servant from the Department of Being Here to
Help You (with Other People's Money). PS: you're the Other People, not "You".