[asdf-devel] Problems with asdf:load-system :force

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 17:02:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, this is probably a bug. In register-system-definition, we should
> get the force argument, and propagate to a variant of load-systems
> that itself should take keyword arguments, and is called by
> load-systems.

So I started working on that by defining a function load-systems* that
accepts a list of systems and keywords (unlike load-systems).
[Patch attached]

Issue: even once such a function is defined, I realized that ASDF3
does NOT have a special variable *force* or *plan* or anything
from which to extract which :force value to use.
I'm not convinced that such a special variable would be a win.
In any case, adding one is an architectural decision for the maintainer,
not a superficial change that a non-maintainer like me can take.
[And if I were still maintainer, I would have a strong prejudice against it,
and wouldn't see this current feature request as a sufficient motivation
to add such a variable.]

Therefore, this patch does the easy part of the job of defining a new
function, but
doesn't actually propagate require flags through defsystem-depends-on'dencies.

Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things,
you just get used to them. — John von Neumann (1903-1957)