[asdf-devel] has ":depends-on ((:version ...))" semantics changed?

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Sun Nov 17 09:34:00 UTC 2013

Hello.

Has the semantics of :depends-on with :version
specified for the dependency changed recently?

I am asking, because I observe problems in several libraries.

For example, moptilities.

moptilities.asd has :depends-on ((:version :closer-mop "0.55"))

In Quicklisp 2013-11-11 closer-mop is updated, now its ASDF
system has :version "1.0.0"

Now moptilities fails to load on many lisps
(clisp, ccl-1.8, ccl-1.8, ecl, sbcl-1.1.0.36).

The error is MISSING-DEPENDENCY-OF-VERSION:
Component :CLOSER-MOP does not match version 0.55, required by #<SYSTEM "moptilities">

But on sbcl-1.1.11 moptilities load OK.
This is a relatively recent SBCL, so I assume
it has newer ASDF than many other lisps.
And probably that's why it it can load moptilities.

Also interesting, that in the previous Quicklisp
closer-mop version was "0.61". And moptilities,
which depend on closer-mop "0.55" was loaded successfully
by many lisps which now fail.

Test results for moptilities for the current and previous
Quiclisp may be found here:
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/library/moptilities.html

Moptilities is only on example, there are other libraries
affected by this problem.

So, my question is: how :depends-on ((:version ...))
should work, and is the change in the behavior intentional?

Best regards,
- Anton