[asdf-devel] Detecting non-defsystem dependencies

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Thu Nov 7 17:32:41 UTC 2013

Faré wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:
>> Thanks. I started to implement this idea, but I'm concerned because ASDF
>> already defines an unspecialized :before method on OPERATE. Is it safe
>> to clobber it? If not, what should I do instead?
>>
> Well, I would use a :before method with slightly different specializers
> than (operation component), e.g. (operation system), since you're only
> interested in systems. (beware: poiu does that, too, on (operation t))

Didn't we once upon a time have method specialization internal to ASDF done by an alternate set of method combination keywords to avoid clashes with extensions like Xach's?

I have a vague memory of this, but an even vaguer one that you had ripped this out because of inconsistencies in different implementations' handling of the extended form of method combination....

Cheers,