[asdf-devel] :cwd pathname designator for source registry configuration?

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Nov 19 16:39:57 UTC 2013

Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> This is a follow-up to my previous post regarding asdf searching for a
> system in the current working directory.
>
> I resolved this to my satisfaction with something like this:
> (let ((asdf:*central-registry*
>      (push directory asdf:*central-registry*)))
>     (apply #'asdf:load-system system keys)))
>
> My question here is two-fold:
> - Am I misusing ASDF if I have asdf files for local projects sprinkled
> around, in addition to having them under centralized locations specified
> in the configuration file?
> - What about adding a :CWD keyword to the configuration file DSL to
> specify the current working directory?
>
> The new keyword seems to require a minor modification to
> ``resolve-absolute-location''.
>
> I don't know if this would conflict with output translations as it uses
> the same DSL and presumably code.

The problem with CWD is that as far as I know there is no notion of
"working directory" in ANSI common lisp.

This means that implementing CWD would require writing
implementation-specific code for every CL implementation we support.

Also, how should we interpret :CWD when we are reading the DSL from
environment variables, configuration files, etc.?

There is a :HERE directive.  Is that not sufficient to you?

Best,