[asdf-devel] component-load-dependencies

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 11:21:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Didier Verna <didier at lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
> Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> since you provide no justification for what you are trying to do,
>> anything can be "reasonable" or not.
>
>   I'm not sure what I need to justify, since my original question was
>   actually quite precise.

Your original question was quite bogus and shows superficial
understanding of the ASDF dependency model. There is no such thing as
"component dependencies". The notion doesn't exist in ASDF, never did,
and never will. And so, despite any inappropriate naming established
by history. Components do NOT have dependencies. Actions do. The
dependency graph is a graph of actions, not of components. Components
have parents and children, that's all.

If you want to know the direct dependencies of an action, use
component-depends-on, or map-direct-dependencies or
visit-dependencies.

If you want to know the indirect dependencies of an action, use
make-plan, visit-action, visit-actions, visit-sub-actions, etc.

If you want to extract the set of components an action depends on, in
dependency order, while dropping the associated operation, use
required-components.

Anything else is semantically meaningless or incomplete and not
directly called by the ASDF planning engine.

sideway-dependencies are only a fraction of the user-specified
information from which the graph is extracted. But if for some reason
you want to put it on a pedestal, then yes, you can resolve it using
resolve-dependency-spec, the same way that map-direct-dependencies
does.

>   Thank you very much, but even assuming I don't know what I want and
>   you know what I want better than I know what I want, I'm still sure
>   that I don't want the opposite of what I want.

Whatever you're trying to achieve, I hope you're successful at it.

>> Have fun playing with ASDF.
>
>   Not really, no.

Then don't do it.

If Government is the solution to any alleged "failure" of free
society, what is the solution to blatant failures of Government?