[asdf-devel] Re: software failures (with asdf 3?)

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 17:27:53 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:
> I upgraded my dist construction system to asdf 3.0 and get these
> failures:
>
>   - exscribe: Don't know how to normalize (:FEATURE :EXSCRIBE-TYPESET
>     :CL-TYPESETTING). More info at
>     http://report.quicklisp.org/exscribe/2013-07-07/failtail.txt

Exscribe is working well for me.

The :FEATURE feature is an ASDF feature that was simultaneously broken
and undocumented in late ASDF1, has been fixed but cerror'ed during
the ASDF 2 days, and fixed and tested to work before ASDF3 (test in
place since 2.31.2).

Your backtrace suggests that the error happens in a package called
DEPCHECK, that doesn't know about this feature. I suppose you wrote
that package and need to teach it about :FEATURE. That's where I
realize that the :FEATURE feature is quite misdocumented in the
asdf.texinfo in the grammar production "dependency-def" (as opposed to
the very different, documented but deprecated feature in
"requirement"). Oh well. Not my problem anymore.

Robert, you might want to look into this:
* in dependency-def, it should be (:feature @var{feature-expression}
@var{dependency-def})
* the required-op production is redundant, since it's better covered
by the second branch of requirement.
* have a quick look at find-component.lisp to make sure the grammar is
properly documented; maybe document the new extensible protocol for
naming components.

>   - cl-launch: Could not load ASDF 2.27. More info at
>     http://report.quicklisp.org/cl-launch/2013-07-07/failtail.txt

Looks like you're using cl-launch 3.21.3 or earlier. Please upgrade to
the latest 3.22, available since last May (actually same as 3.21.7
from February).

There is never a better measure of what a person is than what he does when
he's absolutely free to choose."  — William M. Bulger