[asdf-devel] About some new system slots

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Jul 8 15:09:32 UTC 2013

Didier Verna wrote:
> Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Although, it isn't clear yet how source-control may or may not specify
>> the VCS used: should we prefix the URL with a git: or svn: or darcs:
>> or some such? ASDF uses: :source-control (:git
>> "git://common-lisp.net/projects/asdf/asdf.git")
>
>   Personally, I would not complicate this slot and just go for a simple
>   URL pointing to a VCS related web page. If you start specifying more
>   information there, you will end up with a big mess (which VCS, which
>   access backend, which access type (r/o r/w) etc.).
>
> That's just me of course.

The advantage of having the pair, of course, is that a simple URL does not necessarily identify the form of VCS.

My preference would be to

a. document a proposed format (e.g., Faré's two-element list of keyword + URL -- possibly keyword + ancillary info to permit some hypothetical VCS that does not use URLs);
b. check this format when parsing DEFSYSTEM, issuing a STYLE-WARNING when the meta-data doesn't comply;
c. hope people provide useful information here, but not worry about it.

Cheers,