[asdf-devel] component-property

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Thu Jan 31 21:20:38 UTC 2013

Faré <fahree at gmail.com> writes:

>> I request a slot called "properties" that can hold arbitrary key/value
>> data.
>>
> If it's arbitrary, it's not usable from one system to the other, and
> thus serves no purpose.

I don't understand this, sorry.

Imagine that there was a community desire to provide, in a system, the
answer to the question "Where is the best place to go to report bugs for
this system?"

It is possible, today, to choose a key (or set of keys) for a property
stored in the system, and for authors who wish to participate to adopt
the convention, and for some tool to gather this information and provide
it in a useful way.

I don't see how this is not usable from one system to another.

It does not require reader conditionalization, subclassing, or ASDF
upgrades. It can be expanded and changed without expansions or changes
to ASDF. It works with past versions of ASDF, present versions of ASDF,
and until today, I thought it would work in future versions of ASDF.

I'm not sure why this is an undesirable feature that must be removed
from ASDF.

Zach