[asdf-devel] component-property

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 21:07:21 UTC 2013

> I request a slot called "properties" that can hold arbitrary key/value
> data.

If it's arbitrary, it's not usable from one system to the other, and
thus serves no purpose.

Are you the same Zach Beane who refuses to use
system-relative-pathname to find files relative to the source
directory?

These two attitudes seem to me to be inconsistent simultaneously with
each other and with reality. On the one hand, you promote the use of
the system objects to hold information that cannot be acted upon using
any uniform interface across systems, rather than per-system
variables, even though only system-specific functions can ever hope to
make use of them. On the other hand, here is a uniform interface to
locating system-relative information, and you don't want to use it,
instead reinventing one new variable per system.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases :
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops
moving, subsidize it. — Ronald Reagan (1986)