[asdf-devel] asdf-encodings?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:47:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this the right place to talk about asdf-encodings?  Apologies if
> this is the wrong place.

This is the right place indeed.

> One minor issue with asdf-encodings and cmucl: It looks like
> find-implementation-encoding does not expect an error for unknown
> encodings, so for cmucl, the implementation should be
>
> #+cmu (ignore-errors (stream::find-external-format encoding))

Yes, I discovered as much while running the recently enhanced
asdf's test-encodings and put an ignore-errors around the whole thing,
for all implementations.

> Also, once asdf-encodings is loaded, compiles with asdf fail because
> cl:compile-file is called with :external-format set to the external
> format object instead of the name.  To get the name from the object,
> use (stream::ef-name obj).  I don't know where that should be applied.

I tried something and it looks like it passes the test-encodings test.

> BTW,
>         make test lisp=cmucl CMUCL=cmulisp
>
> passes 41 tests, but there are some warnings like

> Warning:  compiling
>    #<STATIC-FILE "test-module-pathnames" "sources/level1" "level2/static.file"> completed without its input file #P"/home/rtoy/src/clnet/asdf/test/sources/level1/level2/static.file"

There's some magic in some old tests that I haven't tried to figure
out - I don't know who set up those directories, but apparently, some
static files are expect that were removed or never committed, but that
didn't use to cause problems when those files were ignored, which they
are not anymore now that timestamps take them into account. I added
the files, and it seems to have hushed the tests.

Speaking of tests, I just added a 42nd test, but it fails on cmucl:
the hello-world-example for producing a standalone program.

My dump attempt has these errors, using an image from your
distribution on a not-so-fresh ubuntu machine (to be upgraded RSN):

[Saving current lisp image as executable into
"/home/tunes/cl/asdf/test/hello-world-example":
        [Writing core objects
         Read-Only: 27735760 bytes...
         Static: 4499880 bytes...
         Dynamic: 8192 bytes...
        done]
Linking executable...
        [/ita/local/bin/./../lib/cmucl/lib/linker.sh: linking
/home/tunes/cl/asdf/test/hello-world-example...
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../libdl.so when searching
for -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../libdl.a when searching
for -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libdl.so when searching for -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libdl.a when searching for -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        done]

"Anything created must necessarily be inferior to the essence of the creator."
		— Claude Shouse (shouse at macomw.ARPA)

"Einstein's mother must have been one heck of a physicist."
		— Joseph C. Wang (joe at athena.mit.edu)