[asdf-devel] clearing output-translations for a "dumped" image

Dave Cooper david.cooper at genworks.com
Wed Feb 20 05:46:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com>
> wrote:
> > When "saving a world" (i.e. "dumping" an image, e.g. "dumplisp" in
> Allegro
> > CL), which has asdf (and quicklisp) loaded in it, what is the proper way
> > clear the output-translations and any other local path residue from
> ending
> > up in the saved image?
> >
> If you're using ASDF3's program-op or the underlying dump-image,
> then you don't need do anything to clean up the output-translations:
> it's all handled for you using the *image-dump-hook*.
>

> On ASDF2, I recommend using (asdf:clear-configuration)
> before you dump an image.

Holy Cow I started looking through ADSF3 (asdf 2.29) and it is starting to
do everything under the sun!

Sorry I have just joined this list now, please stop me if I start
discussing too much redundant stuff for which I should be reading the
archives...

The new functionality like the ASDF/DRIVER compatibility layer, dumping
images, and concatenated fasls look really useful and have potential to
simplify things on our end a lot. So ASDF/DRIVER has superseded asdf-utils,
right? The functions in "10.3 Miscellaneous Functions" of the documentation
are the main functions now in ASDF/DRIVER? Or I suppose there are a lot
more now -- and the main documentation for the moment are in the source
code (understandable).

For dumping of images, I see for Allegro CL this maps to excl:dumplisp with
only a couple of keyword arguments, which is fine for basic dumping of
images when there's not a lot of need of fine control. As you may or may
not know, Allegro CL has a couple other ways of making executable images:
excl:generate-application and excl:build-lisp-image.  For our distributions
we sometimes have to call these functions instead of excl:dumplisp.  When
the ASDF3 dust has settled a bit and I understand the workings of ASDF3 a
bit better, I hope I (or somebody -- maybe somebody from Franz?) will be
able to extend the image-dumping support in ASDF to handle these Allegro CL
functions as well. But, these functions take many (maybe dozens) of keyword
arguments, so maybe it starts to go beyond what a reasonable portability
layer like what ASDF is trying to achieve should be trying to provide...
 (actually excl:dumplisp takes many of the same keyword arguments as
well... so I suppose the answer is that if one needs that find level of
control, one had better go ahead and directly call the native version).

Anyway for the time being, if I am using ASDF3 with Allegro CL, and want to
use excl:generate-application or excl:build-lisp-image, in order to clear
the configuration, is the

  (asdf:clear-configuration)

still going to work as in ASDF2?

--
My Best,

Dave Cooper, Genworks Support
david.cooper at genworks.com, dave.genworks.com(skype)
USA: 248-327-3253(o), 1-248-330-2979(mobile)
UK: 0191 645 1699