[asdf-devel] clearing output-translations for a "dumped" image

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 05:05:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com> wrote:
> When "saving a world" (i.e. "dumping" an image, e.g. "dumplisp" in Allegro
> CL), which has asdf (and quicklisp) loaded in it, what is the proper way to
> clear the output-translations and any other local path residue from ending
> up in the saved image?

If you're using ASDF3's program-op or the underlying dump-image,
then you don't need do anything to clean up the output-translations:
it's all handled for you using the *image-dump-hook*.

On ASDF2, I recommend using (asdf:clear-configuration)
before you dump an image.

> That is, when a new user starts the image on a target machine, it should be
> forced to re-initialize the output-translations to the appropriate path for
> the new user (e.g. ~/.cache/common-lisp/... with respect to new user's home
> directory).

Indeed.

Regards,

An insult may sometimes adequately fit the person who is insulted.
However, it can only ever possibly tarnish but the person who insults.