[asdf-devel] component-property

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 04:45:02 UTC 2013

(Replying in public to this private email; I hope this is not a faux-pas.)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Daniel Herring <dherring at tentpost.com> wrote:
>>  :long-name "Another System Definition Facility"
>>  :website-url "http://common-lisp.net/projects/asdf/"
>>  :bug-tracker-url "https://launchpad.net/asdf/"
>>  :developers-email "asdf-devel at common-lisp.net"
>>  :source-control (:git "git://common-lisp.net/projects/asdf/asdf.git")
>
> Slight ribbing:  (:git ...) has the same problem as the original properties
> mechanism; it won't catch errors such as (:get ...)

Indeed. An external tool with a documented specification is required here.
But at least there's a clear intent and the beginning of an actual convention,
and it all makes sense.

> You might have left the properties as-is and just added warnings when an
> unknown property name was used.

Possibly. It's still time to have parse-component-form call a better
validation function
that does such checks, and otherwise have some &allow-other-keys mechanism.
See also https://bugs.launchpad.net/asdf/+bug/1007335
Meh. A good project for ASDF4, if anyone is foolish enough to undertake it.

Actually bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/asdf/+bug/953489 reminds me
that one could use #-asdf3 :allow-other-keys #-asdf3 t to say "yeah,
there are optional slots here that aren't defined before asdf3".

No one has the right to a position;
everyone has the right to positions being well filled.  — Ernest Renan