[asdf-devel] Loading pre-compiled fasls

Yellow Dog yellowdog967 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 15:39:30 UTC 2013

Hi,

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice.

I'm currently working with lisp-zmq which uses grovel to create the CFFI
declarations. This is fine and works great on my development box, but I
would prefer not to require that other developers in my organization also
run grovel.

As such, I would like to be able to check in the files that were generated
by grovel and have these automatically loaded in other environments.

This already works! However, my problem is that in our environment, ASDF
compiles fasls into a default user output path and then loads them
(something like ~/.cache/common-lisp/...). I will not have any control over
the content at this location prior to loading the lisp-zmq system for the
first time, and so there isn't really anywhere that I can automatically
deploy the pre-generated grovel files.

My questions are:
* Is there any way to specify using defsystem that a local fasl should be
used?
* Are there any suggestions that anybody can give me to solve my problem.
Perhaps I should precompile the lisp-zmq system and load that instead.

I'd rather not change any of the behavior on anybody's development
environment, so (asdf:disable-output-translations) isn't an option. I'd
like to have this self contained as much as possible.

Many Thanks,

Kevin