[asdf-devel] source files in output translation target directory

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 00:32:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Suppose I want to configure ASDF output translations so that for all source
> files under the ~/test/src/ directory the fasl files are placed into ~/test/fasl/ directory.
>
> All other fasls are placed as usually, to the ~/.cache/common-lisp/
>
> This is achieved by:
>
>   (asdf:initialize-output-translations
>       `(:output-translations ("~/test/src" "~/test/fasl") :inherit-configuration))
>

> That works.
>
> But what if I have source files in ~/test/fasl/ directory. Where their fasl files should be placed,
> near them in the ~/test/fals/ or in the default location ~/.cache/common-lisp/ ?
> The current ASDF implementation keeps such fasl files in ~/test/fasl/
>
> My question, is it by design, or by accident? Because the cffi-grovel in the
> latest cffi release relies on this behavior.

This is by design. The issue is to avoid double-translation, e.g.
when some component creates a Lisp file from some other source, that
is then compiled.
You want to be able to use compile-op and load-op, except that
the source-file will be the output of whichever create-lisp-op you're using,
and therefore already translated. In general, being able
to compose or not compose operations suggests that you shouldn't
double-translate.

> I noticed this because test-grid-agent customizes output translations to place
> fasls to a temporary directory in order to achieve fresh recompilation every time.
> And the way output translations are customized doesn't obey the expectation
> of new cff-grovel. In the terms of the example above, any sources generated and saved to
> ~/test/fasl/ when compiled have their .fasl files in the default location - ~/.cache/common-lisp/.
>
> So I am thinking, should I correct test-grid-agent output translations or report it as a bug to CFFI.

I think you should correct test-grid-agent.

Regards,

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?
— Lord Sutch