[asdf-devel] source files in output translation target directory

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Tue Apr 2 23:35:22 UTC 2013

Hello.

Suppose I want to configure ASDF output translations so that for all source
files under the ~/test/src/ directory the fasl files are placed into ~/test/fasl/ directory.

All other fasls are placed as usually, to the ~/.cache/common-lisp/

This is achieved by:

  (asdf:initialize-output-translations
      `(:output-translations ("~/test/src" "~/test/fasl") :inherit-configuration))

That works.

But what if I have source files in ~/test/fasl/ directory. Where their fasl files should be placed,
near them in the ~/test/fals/ or in the default location ~/.cache/common-lisp/ ?
The current ASDF implementation keeps such fasl files in ~/test/fasl/

My question, is it by design, or by accident? Because the cffi-grovel in the
latest cffi release relies on this behavior.

I noticed this because test-grid-agent customizes output translations to place
fasls to a temporary directory in order to achieve fresh recompilation every time.
And the way output translations are customized doesn't obey the expectation
of new cff-grovel. In the terms of the example above, any sources generated and saved to
~/test/fasl/ when compiled have their .fasl files in the default location - ~/.cache/common-lisp/.

So I am thinking, should I correct test-grid-agent output translations or report it as a bug to CFFI.

Best regards,
- Anton