[asdf-devel] Reloading a .asd

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun May 6 22:25:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Stelian Ionescu <sionescu at cddr.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 18:09 -0400, Faré wrote:
>> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Stelian Ionescu <sionescu at cddr.org> wrote:
>> > Yes, but I'd like to push this as Slime contrib and there's no guarantee
>> > that this will work in any case
>> >
>> No guarantee that my code will work? You can test and debug it;
>> the underlying API is not going to change.
>
> No guarantee in the sense that, after loading the ASDF contrib, the user
> might push another function to *system-definition-search-functions* and it
> will break. There's no way to guarantee that load-slime-override-sysdef
> will always be the first element of *system-definition-search-functions*

Oh, well, if you want more robustness, you could redefine or advise
   search-for-system-definition
that already has such a trick to introduce a function at the beginning
of the list
(put there to avoid infinite loops, as used to happen in some edge cases
with quicklisp and other systems).
And if you want the redefinition or advice to be preserved when ASDF
is reloaded,
you could redefine or advise upgrade-asdf.

The worst thing about totalitarian regimes is not that they make people poor,
miserable and unfree — it's that they corrupt people's souls, and turning
everyone into a double-thinking, double-speaking liar for the sake of survival.