[asdf-devel] ECL tests failing on Mac OS X Lion [Re: asdf 2.23 released]

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 20:02:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I don't quite see what you're afraid of with respect to
> upgrading ASDF to the latest (currently 2.23) from what you have
> (currently 2.017.5).

There have been fixes in ECL regarding asdf-ecl. I need to sit down and see
how to push these back into asdf-bundle.

Most important is the fact that I do not want the equivalent of asdf-ecl to
be removed from what ECL users get when loading ASDF. This means I have to
figure out how to bundle both asdf-bundle and asdf together.

But finally I would like to use this email to push one idea through, which
that asdf-ecl is not optional for ECL. I have explained this several times,
but one more will not hurt.

ECL uses shared libraries to load compiled files. In what here is
considered normal operation, thousand compiled files may be loaded via,
say, quicklisp. That is a waste of time and resources and hurts ECL's
performance. ASDF-ECL provides a load operation, ASDF:LOAD-FASL-OP which
does this and it should be the default operation for ECL, not the one that
ASDF provides.

My problem right now is that ASDF is moving on the opposite direction to
what it should be. Since asdf-ecl is no longer part of ASDF, it gives the
impression of less support. I also have seen recommendations in IRC to not
use asdf-ecl and just use normal asdf operation, and as I said, this is
wrong for ECL.

Finally, I would like libraries such as quicklisp to use asdf:load-fasl-op
with ECL, but if this is not sanctioned by ASDF, I doubt this will push
through.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC