[asdf-devel] recompiling a system when depency system changed

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:11:33 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
>> I have a local project, it's ASDF system specifies :depends-on (#:fiveam ...)
>>
>> The recent quicklisp delivers new version of fiveam. But when my program performed
>> asdf:load-op on that system, the system didn't get recompiled, and old .fasl files are loaded
>> (with error, because they become incompatible).
>>
>> Is it expected behaviour of ASDF or should I dig more and isolate the problem
>> in reproducible test case?
>
> BTW, maybe it is important: fiveam was already loaded at the time asdf:load-op
> was performed on my system.

IIUC, this is the well-known, long-standing bug 479522.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/asdf/+bug/479522

I think it's time to fix the bug. There once was a rationale for
keeping it around (i.e. some people might rely on the current
behavior; also, compilation was much slower then and avoiding it was a
big win); but it makes less sense now that :force and :force-not work
and should allow whoever doesn't like the default behavior to override
it.

PS: do you use Lisp at Yandex?

Guns & bullets don't kill people — blood loss and organ damage kills people.