[asdf-devel] suggestion for aserve.asd

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Dec 20 02:21:16 UTC 2012

On 12/19/12 Dec 19 -8:04 PM, Faré wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>> You don't need acl-file any more.
>>
>> You can now use cl-source-file.cl, which is exported from ASDF.
>>
>> You can make legacy-acl-source-file inherit from cl-source-file.cl and
>> cut the ACL-FILE class entirely.  That will take care of using the .cl
>> extension instead of .lisp.
>>
> Actually, an acl-file is still required, because there's a method on perform.
> On the other hand, that method needs to be changed
> to play well with asdf-output-translations,
> and could simply be an :around method to
>     (handler-bind (((or style-warning warning) #'muffle-warning))
> (call-next-method))
> or something (untested).

Actually, portable aserve has two layers.  It has an acl-file, and it
has legacy-acl-source-file.  I believe that the former is unnecessary,
but the warning muffler on legacy-acl-source-file is still needed.

On general principles, I don't like the idea that there are warnings
that need muffling: I think any mature system should build without
warnings.  If you muffle some warnings that need muffling, sooner or
later you always end up muffling a NEW warning that you wish you hadn't
muffled....

cheers,