[asdf-devel] ASDF 3? WAS Re: if-component-dep-fails

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 04:03:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> On 12/14/12 Dec 14 -3:13 PM, Faré wrote:
>
>>> Personally, I have pretty much lost track of when features I need were
>>> added to ASDF.
>>>
>> If you care to specify the proper version of asdf to depend on,
>> the release-to-release debian/changelog and the commit-to-commit git
>> log are here to help.
>
> Ah.  Thanks.  I don't use the debian packaged version, so it didn't
> occur to me to look in debian/
>
> Any chance of promoting the changelog to the root directory?

No, that's where debian wants it, I don't want to do double work.

> I don't suppose symlinking works happily, especially for folks on
> Windows....

Nope. I could include a note in the README...

> Having a changelog probably makes it less critical to distinguish api
> changes from patch releases.  I have a minor feeling that it's tidier to
> do so, but that's probably just being obsessive.

It's important to distinguish releases. Things break during development,
some commits are checkpoints of work in progress, and more testing
happens before (or sadly, after) release.

Of course, Third World leaders love you. By ascribing third world ills to
First World sins, you absolve them of blame for their countries' failure to
advance. — John McCarthy