[asdf-devel] What are current plans for RMCL?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 17:40:25 UTC 2012

>>> I'm asking for the following reasons: When ASDF was changed from 1.x to 2.x, this caused some problems for RMCL, which I eventually resolved by using Common Lisp's logical pathnames for the systems I maintain (primarily Closer to MOP and ContextL). However, the current maintainers of ASDF have an unjustified very low regard for logical pathnames, which causes a lot of pain - basically, whenever a new version of a Common Lisp implementation comes bundled with a new ASDF version, I have to deal with bugs in ASDF that in one way or the other break my setup with logical pathnames.
>>>
>> The problems were fixed as soon as a suitable bug report was provided
>> (i.e. not by you).
>
> I have submitted bug reports, and provided descriptions of my setup (I think, actually, more than once). Have you entered them in the test suite for ASDF? (Do you have a test suite for ASDF?) I find it hard to believe they don't show up on your side if you continue testing that setup. (The bugs occur in SBCL, Clozure and LispWorks, for example…)

No, you have
(1) submitted "it hasn't been working for months" reports,
  rather than submit a bug report a few months earlier;
(2) repeatedly failed to give detailed bug reports,
  so we can only guess what the failure is;
(3) systematically failed to respond when I committed fixes
  (based on someone else's report)
  and subsequently inquired whether the fix worked for you.
(4) been more and more abusive in your emails.

I have just spend quite a few hours adding test cases for logical-pathnames
(my, are they confusing - see for instance this bug I filed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbcl/+bug/980023
Definitely not something I'll recommend for anyone to try).

I added a test file to our test-suite
with various use cases forways to use logical-pathnames
(yes, I know, I could have done so earlier; so could you.
Why do I, who despises logical-pathnames and think they are a bad idea,
have to support them, spend hours on the task, and get insulted for it?)
I found that checkin 2.017.6 b7aa30f74a4f94908ca17fc82193f4f7b47912a6,
designed to make the effect of loading asd files more consistent
by binding *default-pathname-defaults* to the file's directory,
interacted badly with logical-pathnames on most implementations.
http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/953
After a fix of translate-logical-pathname'ing before to bind,
it all works on CCL, but unhappily not on several other Lisps I've tried.
There are therefore more bugs in ASDF's support for logical pathnames.

I note that no user of logical-pathnames has reported any error for months.
I apologize for being bad at supporting them,
with bugs get fixing only in a matter of days.
Of course, if you upgrade your support contract to Platinum,
we'll give you fixes in hours.

The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm.