[asdf-devel] source file encoding

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Apr 11 14:58:27 UTC 2012

On 4/11/12 Apr 11 -9:48 AM, Faré wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity how will your :encoding handle files with, say Mac
>> end-of-line, which is just CR?  If the first line is a comment, and my
>> lisp expects LF, the entire file is just a comment, I think.
>>
> I don't do anything special for line endings, which is the same thing
> that ASDF doesn't do currently. People who want portable code should
> probably assume the Unix LF convention, but whatever works now will
> keep working and whatever doesn't will keep not working. If we find
> that extending ASDF enables more people to share more code, we'll do
> it. But I have no such plan for now.
>
>> Well, I don't think there are too many files nowadays like that, but I
>> have run into an occasional file with CR as the end-of-line.
>>
> Same here, though most are MCL-specific and going away.

I encountered this several times working with people on older Macs that
pushed stuff into a shared repository with bad line endings.  Gives very
odd errors, since everything after the first ";" gets dropped by the reader!

But those seemed better to fix with the various line-endings-massaging
techniques of revision control systems, than enshrining in the ASDF
systems....

best,