[asdf-devel] source file encoding

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:48:26 UTC 2012

> Just out of curiosity how will your :encoding handle files with, say Mac
> end-of-line, which is just CR?  If the first line is a comment, and my
> lisp expects LF, the entire file is just a comment, I think.

I don't do anything special for line endings, which is the same thing
that ASDF doesn't do currently. People who want portable code should
probably assume the Unix LF convention, but whatever works now will
keep working and whatever doesn't will keep not working. If we find
that extending ASDF enables more people to share more code, we'll do
it. But I have no such plan for now.

> Well, I don't think there are too many files nowadays like that, but I
> have run into an occasional file with CR as the end-of-line.

Same here, though most are MCL-specific and going away.