[asdf-devel] compile-with-nicknames

Gábor Balázs gabalz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 05:02:21 UTC 2011

2011/10/18 Faré <fahree at gmail.com>

> Gabor, why don't you start a
> contrib/asdf-contrib.asd
> system under the asdf tree, or as another project?

Well, I think one of the biggest strength of asdf, that it is only one file.
You just ship that file, and it is there, does the job for you.
With multiple files, you don't have this "portability", and workarounds will
win against such a contrib library.

And personally, I am not so interested in managing such a library. When I
read about this package nickname problem, and solved in a way for my library
set, I just thought asdf would be a right place to handle this uniformly by
faking the missing "use-as" functionality of depackage. So it would be
cheaply available for anyone (as I think most of the lisp library uses
asdf). But this might be just my feeling... I can live with that... :)

Also, a better version of with-package-nicknames
> would handle conflicts with the main name of some packages,
> that could even be shadowed, and rotation of nicknames between packages as
> well.

Yes, it is true, but I think these are not so frequent cases, so the
functionality could be quite useful in its simple pure state. Of course you
could push it further as you say. An then even further by supporting
parallel compilations scenarios, or by substituting package designators by
string replacements in source files as a last resort. But I think the people
who really need this are minority.