[asdf-devel] Dependency does not trigger recompilation

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:34:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:06, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I apologize in advance for the stupid newbie question that follows.
> I have the two systems below. When I change a file in cl-farm, it recompiles
> it, but when I demand loading of cl-farm-test again, ASDF does not recompile
> it, even though its dependency has changed. Why? Is this expected.
> This all is based on the latest ASDF from git, invoked from Slime (but I do
> not think this makes a difference)

This is bug 479522.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/asdf/+bug/479522

Somehow, this behaviour exists for backwards compatibility,
and nobody took wants to take the responsibility for saying
"we need to break compatibility and just do it".

Also, it isn't clear that the "obvious fix" would work if you
(asdf:load-system :cl-farm)
then try to
(asdf:load-system :cl-farm-test)
afterwards.
Something new and magic need to happen about operation-done-p
and mark-operation-done, so that the depending-on system
detects that the depended-on system has been recompiled
in a previous run.

If you take responsibility for writing a patch that does the Right Thing,
I'll merge it.

But at some point, I say: this boggles my mind,
I'd rather use XCVB, that doesn't have these issues.

The American businessmen, as a class, have demonstrated the greatest
productive genius and the most spectacular achievements ever recorded in the
economic history of mankind. What reward did they receive from our culture and
its intellectuals? The position of a hated, persecuted minority. The position
of a scapegoat for the evils of the bureaucrats. — Ayn Rand