[asdf-devel] MCL issue

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu May 19 02:58:05 UTC 2011

2011/5/18 Chun Tian (binghe) <binghe.lisp at gmail.com>:
> Great, then why not replace ASDF's function user-homedir into this one:
>
> (defun* user-homedir ()
>  #+mcl
>  (ccl::findfolder #$kuserdomain #$kCurrentUserFolderType)
>  #-mcl
>  (truenamize (pathname-directory-pathname (user-homedir-pathname))))
>
> I've made a patch (in attach), include above new definition and some notes. I hope Faré could merge it.

I'd do it, except the page you cite in your message suggests setting
the binding for ccl::*user-homedir-pathname* instead. Shouldn't we do
that instead? Or does any code rely on that file being the MCL path?
Is the MCL path saved anywhere else? Note that user-homedir usually
returns a truename, which translations depend upon to work properly.
If you're hacking user-homedir instead of the global variable,
shouldn't the conditional be inside the truename?
http://code.google.com/p/mcl/wiki/Portability

Since you seem to be the one main user of MCL and ASDF, why don't you
decide what it should be in the end? I'll release a 2.015.4 for you
after you've made your mind.

Speed has always been important otherwise one wouldn't need the computer.
       —Seymour Cray