[asdf-devel] About asdf:*compile-file-failure-behaviour* and its value on SBCL

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 23:53:47 UTC 2011

On 19 March 2011 14:51, Chun Tian (binghe) <binghe.lisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, ASDF developers
>
> I think asdf:*compile-file-failure-behaviour* should never been set to :error, just :warn is good.

Well, SBCL is known for its anal attitude towards declaring as an
error or failure anything that could be possibly interpreted as such
by the standard, the idea being that a program that works in SBCL
should work anywhere. Traditionally, a warning in SBCL counts as a
failure in compilation.

> I don't know why SBCL here is special, but this definition caused my project (cl-net-snmp 6.0) failed to be compiled by ASDF "only" on SBCL.  Just try to put following lines in your ASDF based project and try to build it:
>
> (eval-when (:compile-toplevel)
>  (warn "xxx"))
>
> you'll find how ludicrous the current setting of asdf:*compile-file-failure-behaviour* are.

What about using alexandria:simple-style-warning ? Maybe there should
be a short-hand alexandria:style-warn? Meh. Or if that's what you
want, just format something to the error-output. In any case, it's a
long tradition for SBCL to behave that way, and other library authors,
including I, have accepted that fact. I'm sorry that the answer isn't
completely satisfactory to you. Been there, done that.

You don't have to like everything about me, but if you don't love me
the way I am, it's not me you love, only some fantasy of yours.