[asdf-devel] pathname case issue ...

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 16:27:30 UTC 2011

Hi, ASDF developer

Recently I found a strange behaivour in latest ASDF: it internally converts all my pathname namestrings into lower-case, although I'm using a case-insentive HFS on Mac.

I have following items in asdf:*central-registry*, these packages are either maintained/modified by me or not yet with Quicklisp:

SNMP 14 > asdf:*central-registry*
(#P"/Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/fm-plugin-tools-0.2.9/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/Lisp/packages/trivial-gray-streams/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/Lisp/packages/lisa/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/Lisp/packages/elephant/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/Lisp/packages/cffi/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/Lisp/packages/cl-base64/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/Lisp/packages/iolib/src/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/Lisp/cl-net-snmp/snmp/branches/6/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/Lisp/usocket/branches/0.5.x/"
 #P"/Users/binghe/quicklisp/quicklisp/")

Notice that all of those pathnames except the first one is started from directory "/Users/binghe", in which the letter "U" is upper-cased.  But, when I manually compiled a changed definition in one of above projects (snmp), I got a warning from my Lisp platform:

"""
Warnings:
(DEFUN SNMP-CONNECT) being redefined in /users/binghe/Lisp/cl-net-snmp/snmp/branches/6/session.lisp (previously in /Users/binghe/Lisp/cl-net-snmp/snmp/branches/6/session.lisp).
"""

See, now ASDF think the Lisp file was in another different directory which started from "/users/binghe/, in which the first letter "u" is lower-cased.

I hate this new behaviour, either because I want to keep all my namestring cases in a case-insentive file system, or I doubt that if I'm in a case-sensitive HFS filesystem, ASDF may failed to distinguish /Users and /users or something like this.

Please confirm it's a new feature or bug and please consider reverting to previous status.

Regards,

Chun Tian (binghe)