[asdf-devel] Minor simplification

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 5 18:04:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 February 2011 11:13, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
> <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fare, could you please go back to the other method I posted. This one
> does
> > not allow one to *CHANGE* the way COMPILE-FILE* behaves.
> >
> Do you need to change it dynamically? Why not just have a static #+ecl
> or something? don't understand the use case.

Yes, it has to be changeable if the user decides to switch compilers, for
whatever reason. To name one, Windows users will get by default a bytecodes
compiler shipped in, and will have to switch to the lisp->C compiler at run
time if they have MSVC around (which is rarely the case). And the converse
should be possible: Linux users could have lisp->C preloaded and switch to
bytecodes compilation for a session. All this should be doable with the same
ASDF image.

As you see, it would even be better to have a global variable
ASDF:*COMPILE-FILE-FUNCTION* specify who does what instead of having us mess
with function definitions.

> Since all this is ECL-specific (so far), I suppose you could use
> ADVISE, or whatever ECL-specific hooking mechanism exists, or
> delete-method calls.

But do you realize, that precisely because this is very ECL specific, there
is no need to complicate COMPILE-FILE* and the way we have to interfere with
it.

Design of ASDF should expose only a minimal, well thought out API. Making
COMPILE-FILE* a generic function, when the types of arguments is fixed, just
for the sake of :AROUND methods is absurd. It forces non portable code (I
call MOP nonportable) just to change/delete a feature.

If you want me to put it another way. The patch I submitted was just to get
rid of an :AROUND method, and you just forced me to add another one + MOP
code in my own system.

Please, reconsider this,

Juanjo

--