[asdf-devel] Some points raised

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Fri Sep 24 14:26:43 UTC 2010

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>
writes:

> On 9/24/10 Sep 24 -9:07 AM, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>
>> writes:

>> As a user, I'll just note that I browsed the manual, didn't understand
>> much, and for now I'm just using:
>>
>> (asdf:enable-asdf-binary-locations-compatibility
>>  :centralize-lisp-binaries     t
>>  :default-toplevel-directory   (merge-pathnames (format nil ".cache/common-lisp/~A/" (hostname))
>>                                               (user-homedir-pathname) nil)
>>  :include-per-user-information nil
>>  ;; :map-all-source-files ???
>>  :source-to-target-mappings    nil)
>>
>> and asdf:*central-registry* until I have time to learn how to do it in
>> the new way.
>>

>> So I would say that indeed, the documentation could be improved.
>
> This is pretty much the same for me.  I had a workaround for
> configuration in ASDF 1:
>
> 1.  ASDF-BINARY-LOCATIONS worked for me (decentralized binaries) and
>
> 2.  I developed a limited clone of `find` in portable common lisp called
> ASD-FINDER that you point at a directory and it returns a list of all
> the subdirectories that contain .asd files (and it supports prune).
> Then, for each of my projects, I had a configuration function (e.g.,
> PROJECT-FOO), which would invoke the ASD-finder to set up
> asdf:*central-registry* appropriately for that project.  I would start
> up lisp, invoke the project function for the project I was working on at
> the moment, and then be ready to go.  I haven't yet determined what's
> the appropriate way to replace this for ASDF2, so still use it.

Same here. I've got a pair of functions ASDF-RESCAN-PACKAGES and
UPDATE-ASDF-REGISTRY to load and update a cache for
asdf:*central-registry* in the ~/.*rc.lisp files.

Otherwise for specific projects, I just build asdf:*central-registry*
explicitely.

>>> With all due respect, opening a list is pretty much never a good idea.
>>> It's just asking for spam.  Per my response to the above complainer, I
>>> think it would be great if there was a help web site that
>>>
>>> 1.  Allowed OpenID login --- no need for new accounts
>>>
>>> 2.  Served up questions to the interested through email digest and RSS.
>>>  As a potential question-answerer, I don't have time to log in to such a
>>> web site.  I would need to have the questions pushed at me.
>>>
>>> Is there any such existing software that we could adopt?
>>
>> I'm using gmane, and the overhead to subscribe is really minimal: just
>> reply to a message gmane sends back the first time you post...
>
> So should we just set up an asdf-help mailing list?

For me it would be an easy and good enough solution, yes.