[asdf-devel] find-system

Lou Vanek lou.vanek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 18:18:53 UTC 2010

I am totally confused with the asdf:find-system method.

The symbol is exported but it isn't bound to a function, at least on my system.

About 10 different packages call asdf:find-system but it cannot be
called because it isn't bound.

Asdf:find-system IS declared and defined and exported in asdf.lisp
version 2.009, but when a package tries to call it I get an error.

Yet I can see it's defined in asdf.lisp as:

(defmethod find-system (name &optional (error-p t))
  (find-system (coerce-name name) error-p))

(defmethod find-system ((name string) &optional (error-p t))
  (catch 'find-system

CL-USER> (apropos "find-system")
 ASDF:FIND-SYSTEM
ASDF::FIND-SYSTEM-FALLBACK, Def: FUNCTION
; No value
CL-USER> (asdf::find-system :usocket)
; Evaluation aborted on #<CCL::UNDEFINED-FUNCTION-CALL #x18634CFE>.
CL-USER> asdf::*asdf-version*
"2.009"
CL-USER> (lisp-implementation-type)

"Clozure Common Lisp"
CL-USER> (lisp-implementation-version)
"Version 1.6-dev-r14367M-trunk  (LinuxX8632)"

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Lou Vanek