[asdf-devel] Fwd: Re: [Openmcl-devel] asdf 2 imported into trunk

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sat May 8 07:31:18 UTC 2010

On 5/8/10 1:05 AM, Faré wrote:
> I don't know the status of ASDF-INSTALL.
>
> It looks like ASDF-INSTALL is being maintained outside ASDF.
>
> We probably should remove the asdf-install and cclan files from our repository.
>
> Since ASDF-INSTALL has its own repository, they should probably
> #+asdf2 ify any compatibility changes. Sorry about that.

I'm not so sure that ASDF-INSTALL is actively maintained, as the last
ChangeLog darcs entry is from 2008.  When I went looking to incorporate
ASDF-INSTALL into ABCL several months ago, I found a wide divergence of
its implementation among the contemporary active Lisp implementations,
from which I cherry-picked to get the [version in ABCL][1]

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12487

Wouldn't it make sense for ASDF to subsume the installation code part of
ASDF-INSTALL like it subsumed ASDF-BINARY-LOCATIONS?  This is certainly
a post ASDF2 release question, so it is probably a good idea to remove
the files from the ASDF tree as you suggest.

It certainly is a vote of confidence in the fidelity of ASDF2's
backwards compatibility that ASDF-INSTALL only requires a [minor
adjustment][2] to work!

[2]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12657

is nothing to compare to it now."