[asdf-devel] :logical-hostname

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 31 12:07:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM, james anderson <james.anderson at setf.de>wrote:

> a. put logical hosts on asdf's search path and unify the pathnames
> for found system definitions with them.

Sorry, but from the paragraph that you wrote I do not follow completely the
logic of what it is achieved. In any case the sentence "put logical hosts on
asdf's search path" implies that ASDF has to be there for the pathnames to
exist, while I was advocating a mechanism that did not depend on a central
registry and, most of all, that did not depend on the user setting up
translations.

I hope you understand that my requisites, so to say, are flexible, and the
motivation is to reach an even easier to use, more transparent way of
building Lisp components where ASDF is better hidden -- much like a shared
library loader, or a C linker, is hiding a lot of complexity from casual
users.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC