[asdf-devel] :logical-hostname

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Wed Mar 31 09:18:42 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-31, at 05:31 , Robert Goldman wrote:

> On 3/30/10 Mar 30 -4:32 PM, james anderson wrote:
>>
>> On 2010-03-30, at 21:36 , Robert Goldman wrote:
>>
>>> [ ... ]
>>> Can you explain how to do this?
>>
>> i have found two ways to do this.
>>
>> a. put logical hosts on asdf's search path and unify the pathnames
>> for found system definitions with them. this is semi-pure in that the
>> mechanism is part of an extension[1] and hooks into an additional
>> method for system instantiation, but, in principle, it has nothing to
>> do with the hierarchal name mechanism. it uses the mappings cited[2]
>> in the earlier message to implement the equivalent of binary
>> locations in terms pathname translation patterns which match the
>> output file type.
>
> I think that this is the opposite of what Juanjo is proposing.

i do not yet understand his use cases. despite his extended
descriptions.
as far as i have managed, this fulfills the requirement for dual
build methods - one with and one without asdf. in the asdf case, the
registry entry suffices. in the other case, there is some other host
definition.

> According to Juanjo, the population of the asdf:*central-registry*,
> and
> the loading of system causes logical pathname hosts to be defined.
> What
> you propose here is to define logical pathname hosts and use them to
> help find and load systems.
>>
>> b. define a host anew for each system definition[3]. this uses [2] to
>> root a host at a given location. by default that of the currently
>> loaded file.

this alternative satisfies the requirement directly. the definition
is the same in both methods.

>> ---
>> [1] : http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.utility/blob/master/asdf/
>> hierarchical-names.lisp#L274 (this uses on operator from [2].)
>> [2] : http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.utility/blob/master/
>> pathnames.lisp#L119
>> [3] : http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.amqp/blob/master/amqp.asd#L36
>
> BTW, any chance you could use tiny url or some other url shortener on
> these github links?  At least in my email client, they get line breaks
> in the middle and thus broken....

will endeavour to.

> This bit of code in [2] is very nice, by the way, seems to be just
> what
> Juanjo is asking for, but with a slightly different API, yes?

yes. you may have noted the range of implementations and the entry
for (mcl 68k)? i have evidently had the fortune of more than a decade
of colleagues willing to learn rules and follow them.