[asdf-devel] :logical-hostname

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Tue Mar 30 17:21:01 UTC 2010

good evening;

On 2010-03-30, at 12:00 , Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:

> Some considerations:
>
> [...]
>
> * Including logical pathnames in defsystem instead of just the name
> of the host is going to be problematic. I know at least one
> implementation (SBCL) that complains when we try to build a logical
> pathname with a host name that has no logical translations. It is
> the fish eating its own tail: we can not define the logical
> pathname in defsystem and thus we can not define the translation
> and thus...

please explain further. the passage is not clear. no implementation
should permit to "build a logical pathname with a host name that has
no logical translations." you must intend some other use case.

there are already mechanisms which are known to work portably with
asdf without requiring it to change:
- a pathname argument which is a logical pathname
- unifying the pathname which asdf derives from the load pathname
with known logical hosts