[asdf-devel] [armedbear-devel] Patches for ABCL against asdf-1.641

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 08:39:25 UTC 2010

On 29 March 2010 04:33, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
>> Couldn't you extend the ABCL pathname matching algorithm to allow for
>> wildcards and all in the device component?
>
> Wildcards do work in DEVICE but you can't currently use unused results of
> the wildcard matches on the DEVICE components to "carry over" to the
> translation of the DIRECTORY component.  I suppose that's what you were
> suggesting anyways.  There isn't an obviously easy way to implement this in
> ABCL due to the structure of our code and I need to think through the
> various permutations, but that doesn't mean that its implementation isn't a
> win for the end user.  I'll see what I can do.

If you're going to use a lot of such magic DEVICE components, that
could be a win.

>>> So I would ask the ASDF developers to consider extending the
>>> output translation DSL to allow something like
>>>
>>>  (initialize-output-translations
>>>    '(:output-translations :ignore-inherited-configuration
>>>       (#p"jar:file:/**/*.jar!/**/*.*" :function
>>> SYS::ASDF-JAR-OUTPUT-TRANSLATE)))
>>>
>> I suggest that either you make (:function foo) a valid second value
>> for an output-translations list, or you make said list accept a&key
>> function argument in addition to its two current positional arguments.
>> But having weird non-standard vararg convention for such lists is
>> probably a bad API. The default function would be TRANSLATE-PATHNAME
>> and the calling convention would be the same.
>
> I'd favor the first proposal, as making :FUNCTION a real key argument would
> imply that the second positional parameter is optional, whereas it is
> actually being replaced by the (:FUNCTION ARG) parameter.  When I get time
> to revisit the patch, I'll implement your first proposal.

I'd favor either a keyword argument or :function as a magic marker to
be inserted in FIRST position, followed by a function designator (and
additionally, parameters to curry?). Unless of course, you
symmetrically accept a FUNCTION in first position to denote a
"recognize if this matching rule applies".

Boxer’s law of economics: “The economy interprets taxation and regulation as
damage and routes around it.” — Jessica Boxer, http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=1752