[asdf-devel] [armedbear-devel] Patches for ABCL against asdf-1.641

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Mar 29 08:33:24 UTC 2010

On 3/29/10 8:25 AM, Faré wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
>> Fare's suggestion that I use an output translation based on the jar
>> pathname doesn't quite work, because in our current implementation,
>> the pathname of the jar is stored in DEVICE, separate from the rest
>> of the jar pathname. I extended PATHNAME-MATCH-P to match jars
>> correctly, but I don't see a possible extension of TRANSLATE-PATHNAME.
>>
> Couldn't you extend the ABCL pathname matching algorithm to allow for
> wildcards and all in the device component?

Wildcards do work in DEVICE but you can't currently use unused results
of the wildcard matches on the DEVICE components to "carry over" to the
translation of the DIRECTORY component.  I suppose that's what you were
suggesting anyways.  There isn't an obviously easy way to implement this
in ABCL due to the structure of our code and I need to think through the
various permutations, but that doesn't mean that its implementation
isn't a win for the end user.  I'll see what I can do.

>> So I would ask the ASDF developers to consider extending the
>> output translation DSL to allow something like
>>
>>   (initialize-output-translations
>>     '(:output-translations :ignore-inherited-configuration
>>        (#p"jar:file:/**/*.jar!/**/*.*" :function SYS::ASDF-JAR-OUTPUT-TRANSLATE)))
>>
> I suggest that either you make (:function foo) a valid second value
> for an output-translations list, or you make said list accept a&key
> function argument in addition to its two current positional arguments.
> But having weird non-standard vararg convention for such lists is
> probably a bad API. The default function would be TRANSLATE-PATHNAME
> and the calling convention would be the same.

I'd favor the first proposal, as making :FUNCTION a real key argument
would imply that the second positional parameter is optional, whereas it
is actually being replaced by the (:FUNCTION ARG) parameter.  When I get
time to revisit the patch, I'll implement your first proposal.

[…]

Thanks,
Mark

is nothing to compare to it now."