[asdf-devel] Fwd: ASDF traverse changed behavior?

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Thu Mar 18 14:19:54 UTC 2010

good morning;

one will no doubt have noticed this message.
one may well have objected, that it does not reflect reality.
that is true.

it brings up an issue which should be addressed as part of the
discussion about a more stable interface:

   component-depends-on should be changed so that it uses subtype
rather than eq as its test.

it has long been clear,[0] that this renders asdf's "O-O" aspirations
for naught, but the issue has until now been dormant.
from this point on, if asdf wants a stable interface, the internals
will need to recognize that library classes will be specialized.

the recent point, about intended base methods, which defined instead
- likely unintentionally, as default methods, expresses similar
concerns.

---
  [0] : http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.asdf.x/blob/master/asdf-
x.lisp#L1992