[asdf-devel] ASDF 2 confusion

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Sat Mar 13 21:55:06 UTC 2010

On 3/13/10 Mar 13 -11:35 AM, Robert Goldman wrote:
> The member of *features* that indicates new asdf is
>
> :asdf2
>
> This is probably the source of the confusion.
>
> Probably need a section of the manual on this.

I see that :asdf2 has been removed from *features*, according to the
manual, until ASDF reaches 2.0 official release.

I would like to appeal this decision; I think it's a mistake.

The current 1.6xx releases of ASDF are effectively release candidates
for ASDF 2.0.

While we are in testing, we need to be able to validate that ASDF2 and
ASDF "classic" are compatible.

In particular, we need to start writing ASDF files with code like

#+asdf2
#-asdf2
<classic asdf compatibility code>

For example, I would like to test with

#+asdf2
<asdf-output-translations code here>
#-asdf2
<asdf-binary-locations code here>

Removing :asdf2 makes this kind of testing impossible, and indeed makes
it impossible pre-release to check expedients for backward compatibility
of any kind.

I would like to revise the manual to say basically what I have said
above and restore the

(pushnew :asdf2 *features*)

to asdf.lisp.

will this upset anyone?