[asdf-devel] notes on the manual discussion of asdf-output-locations

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Mar 12 15:47:36 UTC 2010

1. The manual in several places uses version 1.6 as synonymous with
1.600.  But if we are to eat our own dogfood and comply with our own
version-satisfies function,

1.6 ~= (1 6) while
1.600 ~= (1 600)

and 600 > 6

I have fixed the references I found.

2.  In a couple of places the manual suggests making files with names of
the form nn-filename.  We should explain what is the purpose of these
integers.

3.  I don't want to repeatedly have to translate stuff out of read me
files.  I have put all of the information from the
README.asdf-output-locations file into the manual, and killed the README
so that it doesn't become an attractive nuisance.

I have pushed these changes.  I'd encourage everyone to please have a
peek at the new manual.

Question:  I have been assuming that everyone on the list is capable of
opening this up in emacs and using texinfo mode to format this to their
choice of HTML, info, and pdf.  If that is not true, please let me know;
it should be possible to put a formatted copy on the ASDF web page for
people who are interested in screening the documentation.

Best,