[asdf-devel] never ending component relative pathnames

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Mar 5 19:14:21 UTC 2010

On 3/5/10 Mar 5 -12:06 PM, james anderson wrote:
> good evening;
>
> on the occasion of pushing de.setf.graphics down the wire, when i
> built it for ccl/sbcl i did an obligatory pull on asdf and observe
> that something changed in the treatment of modules' component
> relative pathnames. with the effect that it was no longer possible
> possible to build clx. the clx-0-7-4 version as (:relative)
> specification in module pathnames which ran afoul of the asdf
> changes. i applied the same tactic as i have previously found
> effective for source file components and was able to build. the diff
> [1] is posted with the graphics sources.
>
> on other semi-related matters, i can report, that i have now an s3
> ami (linux-2.6.31+ubuntu++^3) with which i can boot an ec2 instance
> with all pieces in place to run the target lisp implementations.
>

> ---
>   [1] : http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.graphics/blob/master/readmes/
> asdf.diff

I reviewed this modification and I'm not sure I understand the
implications.  This seems to squash Fare's
component-name-to-pathname-components call, and I don't know what
implications that has for his newfangled component names like (:file
"foo/bar"). [As an aside, do we have tests for these?  I see them only
in test-module-pathnames and only in one location...]

I'm reluctant to apply this patch without more understanding of its effects.

Best,