[asdf-devel] Q on compiling ASDF

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 06:57:58 UTC 2010

On 22 February 2010 01:44, Daniel Herring <dherring at tentpost.com> wrote:
> Apparently the ASDF-binary-locations (now asdf-output-locations) code
> originated from Slime.  In Slime, this code allowed a simple loader to put
> incompatible fasls in separate paths.
>
> Now that ABL (AOL) is a standard part of ASDF, what is the proper way to
> bootstrap/write a
> (load (compile-file "asdf.lisp"))
> and have the fasls appear in implementation-specific directories?

Two solutions: either

1- ASDF is delivered as part of your lisp implementation or distribution,
 at which point (require :asdf) should load a fasl, or

2- ASDF is not delivered as part of your lisp implementation, at which
 point, either your Makefile or bootstrap scripts must specially compile it,
 or they must load it directly as source code without compiling.

> I ask this in relation to Nick's problem on Lispworks.  Though I suspect a
> few extra stack frames (close to the patch I reported for clisp) are to
> blame for his immediate problem, in principle it would be good to always
> load the compiled form.

There's a bootstrap issue indeed.

The college idealists who fill the ranks of the environmental movement seem
willing to do absolutely anything to save the biosphere, except take science
courses and learn something about it. — P.J. O'Rourke